NDA in Alliance with OSHA
Published: 12/10, 2021
I am happy to announce that the National Demolition Association has formalized its Alliance with the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. The alliance between the two organizations solidifies our ongoing partnership to align training, best practices, procedures and continued education within the demolition industry.
The formal alliance will allow NDA to:
• Expand existing relationships between NDA and OSHA’s regional and area offices to address industry health and safety issues, including the training of agency staff and providing technical expertise when appropriate.
• Develop and disseminate materials and effective training aids that align with current regulatory information, interpretations, and enforcement initiatives.
• Develop and review demolition best practices.
This is a great win for the Association and demolition industry. It provides NDA the platform to share our best practices with OSHA and in turn with the general contractors, owners, and other members of the industry.
This year, the NDA Industry Committee is working on a Power Plant Guidance Document with a target to publish in cooperation with OSHA by the end of the year. We are also hard at work on an Implosion Guidance Document, with the first draft scheduled for release in early 2022. Additionally, our Safety Committee is in the process of finalizing editing of the Pre-Demolition-Engineering Survey and will have an updated document for members at the end of the year.
We are excited about NDA Convention & Expo 2022 in San Diego, Calif., February 26 - March 1, 2022. We have selected a fantastic location for the evening party, Live DEMO, and the host hotel—Hilton San Diego Bayfront, one of the best properties in the city. Registration will open in October and we hope to see you there.
Last year in response to COVID-19, we changed our platform from in-person to virtual training for the Foundations of Demolition Management courses. We trained more than 100 people between the recent project management course, job cost tracking course, and the Superintendent Boot Camp. We also have expanded the availability of the classes by offering the risk management course in conjunction with the World Demolition Summit, October 22nd in Chicago. If you plan on attending, we encourage you to register for the Foundation of Demolition Risk Management.
Here’s the rest of NDA’s education schedule FY 2022:
• Foundations of Demolition Estimating Course: Fall 2021 (TBD)
• Foundations of Demolition Job Cost Tracking Course: April 29, 2022 in Atlanta, Ga.
• Foundations of Demolition Project Management Course: April 27-28, 2022 in Atlanta, Ga.
• Foundations of Demolition Estimating Course (virtual): Spring 2022 (TBD)
Also in education, we are in the process of developing the industry’s first certification. NDA has put together a certification board consisting of owners, general contractors and NDA members to help determine best practices and metrics. We think a rising tide offered by certification will lift all boats. It will help contractors stay safe, but it will also help the owners and the general contractors have a metric to say, “Here’s the industry standard.” We plan to offer the first certification test in spring of 2022.With all that is going on at NDA, if you’re not a member you should be. Contact me directly at email@example.com to learn more.